Sunday, July 22, 2012

RIP Ruth Ellis Dunn, 1937-2012

Ruth was my father's first cousin.  They grew up together in rural New Jersey and were close in age, along with Ruth's brother.  I didn't get to know about her until 2003, when I started communicating with her by e-mail.  Of course, it all started because of family history!  I found out about a book someone had published on that family line, and Ruth's brother contributed some material.  That led to talking to Ruth and sharing information.  She was also very interested in family history.

I finally got to meet her in 2004, when I traveled to Indianapolis for a convention.  She and her husband Harold were loving and welcoming.  They invited me to stay with them when I was in town.  I was able to visit them again in 2005 and 2006.  They shared lots of family photos I had never seen before.  In 2006 I was fortunate to be able to see Harold before he passed away.  I was back in 2007 and 2008, and my then boyfriend and I introduced Ruth to Indian food.  Then a lot of things changed in my life and I wasn't able to travel very much, so I didn't get to see her again, but we still talked by phone and e-mail.  She shared my happiness when I became a grandmother.

Ruth had a caring and loving spirit.  She affected the lives of so many people in such a positive way.  She was a wonderful person, and I feel very privileged to have been able to know her.  Ruth died last week, on July 14.  I will miss her so much.

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss - but I am glad you got to meet her and share stories and photos and your lives together. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Carol. I don't remember if you met Ruth or not. She was a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is my nans great cousin

    ReplyDelete

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to everyone, particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.