Monday, April 16, 2012

Be Careful What You Ask For

I just hit one of those milestone birthdays -- I turned 50 a week ago.  I'm proud of every gray hair and all the crow's feet that tell the tales of my journey.  I had told a friend that I wanted a fuss for my birthday.  After all, it isn't every day that you turn half a century.  Said friend and her S.O. took me out to dinner for sushi, which was enjoyable and quite tasty, but no fuss.  So I figured, eh, very nice of them to take me out, I'm still having a nice birthday, no problem.

Coincidentally, this year was also the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.  The same friend and I attended a big costume dinner to commemorate the event.  Everyone was in beautiful reproductions of period clothing (and a few of us in vintage dresses).  I was just one of the crowd.  So imagine my surprise when the S.O. tells me that my friend needs my help out on the dance floor.  I was confused, because I didn't think my friend was one of the event coordinators, but I dutifully went over -- and my birthday was announced.  The small orchestra played and about 150 people sang "Happy Birthday" to me.  Now *that* qualifies as a fuss!  It was a wonderful surprise that I will always remember.

I wonder if my "little brother" will have 150 people singing "Happy Birthday" for his 50th birthday next year ....

6 comments:

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to everyone, particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.