Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day, Bubbie

A few years after my grandfather died, I was talking with my grandmother (Bubbie), and she mentioned how every year on Valentine's Day for the 50 years they were married Zadie (my grandfather) had given her these big beautiful cards.  She sounded wistful as she told me about it.  They loved each other so much.  So the next year I started sending her big, flowery cards, the kind she told me Zadie used to give her.  She loved getting them.  She would call me when they arrived and thank me for thinking of her.  She's gone now also, but on Valentine's Day I think of her.

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely gesture (on Zadie's part and yours).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific thing you did for her. I imagine she appreciated it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you did for your grandmother was so special. Thank you for sharing this touching story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It was a pleasure to bring her happiness.

      Delete
  4. Your Bubbie must have been beaming with joy when you sent her these gorgeous blooms. Bet she kept them on her bureau for weeks! A lovely "love" story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She kept a lot of them afteward, also. When I visited her she had saved them.

      Delete

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to everyone, particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.