Sunday, August 14, 2011

IAJGS Genealogy Conference, Washington, DC

Today was the first day of the 2011 IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy, being held in Washington, DC.  I found something worthwhile to attend in every time slot.  The most interesting talk of the day was by D. Joshua Taylor, who spoke about attracting younger attendees to genealogy events.  He emphasized connecting through social networking venues and trying new types of programming.  I'm going to share my write-up with the SFBAJGS board of directors to start a discussion about what we can do in our society to get the "younger crowd" interested in researching their family history.

I also saw lots of familiar genealogy faces today -- Schelly Dardashti, Banai Lynn Feldstein, Ava Cohn, Dale Friedman, Rosanne Leeson, Roy Ogus, Gary Mokotoff, Steve Morse, Jan Meisels Allen, and plenty of others I can't remember right now because it's after midnight.

Now I have to get some sleep.  Sessions start at 8:00 in the morning, and I have to commute back to DC bright and early.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous that you are even in Washington DC much less the IAJGS Conference! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you can make it to next year's meeting in Paris! Now that's something to be jealous of ....

    ReplyDelete

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to everyone, particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.