Monday, July 18, 2011

Learn Mah Jongg in San Francisco

The American Jewish Committee San Francisco office and Asian Week Foundation at the American Legion Cathay Post #384 are cosponsoring a free mah jongg event in San Francisco on Wednesday, July 27, from 4:30-8:30 p.m. at the War Memorial Herbst Theater.  All levels of mah jongg players are welcome, and teachers will be available to instruct beginners (like me!).  Play Chinese and American versions of mah jongg and see The Tiles That Bind, a short documentary with Chinese and Jewish women reminiscing about their mothers playing mah jongg.  Sign up on the AJC Web site by 5:00 p.m. on July 22.  The event is filling up fast, so don't wait until the last minute.  If you are coming with a group, include your friends' names in the notes.

I remember when I saw Driving Miss Daisy and realized that the little old ladies were Jewish when they were all sitting around playing mah jongg.  My grandmother used to play mah jongg also.  I actually bought a mah jongg set intending to learn so I could play the game with her, but it was one of those things I never got around to.  It's too late for that now, but I'll be thinking about her while I learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to everyone, particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.